About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Thursday 1 October 2015

Great Riding Weather.....

Since we have been at this campsite the weather has been really good......
Dry....Sunny and warm and in short, great riding weather....
Back on some of the cycling loops that I know well I have been trying to get my fitness level back up to somewhere close to where it should be.......

The Tifosi with the Horton Tower in the Background
 I have been enjoying my riding very much although I must say that since I last rode in this area the condition of the roads has deteriorated a lot.... 
On the downhill sections I have been quite cautious as there seems to be lots of ruts and pot holes just waiting to throw off the unsuspecting cyclist....

Just outside of the village of Horton is the Horton Tower. 
This is also known as Sturts Tower having been built by Sir Humphrey Sturt who was born in 1725..
To some it is an interesting folly and to others it is a blot on the landscape....
To it's builder it was a seat from which he could watch the hunt when he became too old to ride to hounds himself......he also liked to use it to gaze up at the heavens and he liked to call it Horton Observatory....
It is a red brick Gothic style building and can be seen in the background on the hill in the above picture....
A road junction on my route and a nice seat on which to take a short break.
Further along on my route and I arrived at one of regular stops....
It is a road juction not far from the village of Witchampton..... 
A triangle of grass with a tree in the middle and a lovely seat all around the trunk of the tree.... You just have to stop and take advantage of the seat and take in your surroundings....

No comments:

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...