About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Wednesday 3 June 2015

Our Latest Location.....

Our latest location is........
Moreton on Lugg three miles north of Hereford......
We are staying at Cuckoos Corner touring park which is just off the A49 between Hereford and Leominster.

Back in 2008 while riding Lands End to John O Groats I remember passing the site after we had spent our fourth overnight stop at the Premier Inn in Hereford.
I remember thinking to myself as I cycled past that "there is a campsite we could have stayed and saved some money"
Mind you we needed a good hotel stop at that point as we had suffered some awful weather.....nothing like a good shower..a decent meal and a comfortable bed to help you on your way.

Anyway, that was then and this is now.....
We had a pretty good journey up here from Sixpenny Handley... The only problem we had was not being allowed to exit the motorway where we needed to as the exit was closed... However the in car GPS redirected us and we only ended up increasing our journey by about seven miles.
When we arrived the weather was not good...very gusty and windy with lots of rain. It wasn't good yesterday either, it was dry but still very windy so we  didn't put up the awning until today......

When we were setting up I made the mistake of popping up the poptop incorrectly... 
There is a very strict order of releasing the interior clips and pushing the correct end of the roof up first.... 

For some reason...without thinking....I pushed up the rear before I had un-clipped the front....
This had the effect of jamming the rear so I couldn't push it up or down and also making it impossible to un-clip the front.
Yes it was totally jammed  with the rear up and the front down.....

The only way that I could get out of this 'jam' was to borrow some spanners from the very helpful campsite owner and remove the front interior clips.... 
This released the front section of the roof and allowed me to pop it up... I then had to re-attach the clips.
I WILL NOT MAKE THAT STUPID ERROR AGAIN !!

Although it was very..very ..windy yesterday Anne and I did go out for a good walk....
We followed a footpath that runs past the campsite....
Part of it was completely grown over with nettles and other plants, so we found a couple of large sticks to 'bash' our way through and we finally managed to re-open the footpath....
At least any walkers that follow in our footsteps will now be able to get though with less difficulty......

On previous trips along the English/Welsh border area I have found that footpaths are often allowed to fall into disrepair..... it is such a pity as a lot of people would be forced to turn back and cut their walk short.....
Perhaps they don't have a very active ramblers group or footpath officer in this part of the world....

We were both glad that we had forced our way though, as one of the things we saw on finally emerging out on to the next road was a garden that had been turned into a Railway Station...
No trains.... just a station complete with signs...signals and signal box and a platform.
Obviously the house owner was a pretty enthusiastic railway fan.
An image of this can be seen below.......


Station but no trains..



3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am enjoying following your trails/travails. It made me wonder whether you have, say, the next few stops mapped out or more ' move on a whim ' NOT that I want to know where you are headed next...this would spoil the ' join the dots ' game I am playing!

Worthing Wanderer said...

I always love a railway fan's house. Was it a former station I wonder?

TrevorW�� said...

*Peter Roberts*
Currently we are booking sites ahead by about three/four weeks... This is due to family reasons. When that situation settles down we will be going further afield and will travel more on a whim.....

*Paul Willis*
It doesn't appear to have been Paul.... The only rail track is about a mile west and I can find no history of one in this location...

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...