About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Friday 22 March 2013

Starting to get Desperate......

Yes that's right...I am starting to get desperate.
In the past week I have not managed to get out on my bike once...not even a quick spin around the block..... 

During the month that I was forced to stay off the bike I was unlucky enough to pick up some sort of viral infection....I seemed to have got over it and managed the ride out with the rest of the 10in10 Team and then the further ride around the Corfe/ Swanage Loop.....
Since then the infection seems to have returned and although I have managed to do some light training on the indoor static bike I have not been able to venture out......

Mind you the weather would probably have stopped me getting out much anyway.....
As I write this blog post the rain is pouring down outside and in some parts of the UK the snow has returned... 
This time last year we were enjoying glorious warm weather, it's amazing the difference a year can make as far as the weather is concerned....mind you it wasn't long after last years lovely warm spring weather that it all changed....the warm weather turned to rain and that seemed to be the trend of the weather for the rest of the year... 

Last year I had to go out riding whatever the weather in order to achieve my personal mileage challenge, this year my overall mileage no longer matters...it's a case of  'I've been there and done that'. 
This year my plan was to ride only during the nicer weather (unless I get caught in bad weather) unfortunately there hasn't really been any yet...nicer weather that is. 

That is where the desperation comes in...almost three months of the year gone and my training for the 10in10 is way behind where it should be at this point.
I look at the calendar and there are only two clear month pages left before June and the start of our big ride of the year.. 

I am beginning to wish that we had arranged to do the ride in September rather than June as that would have given us all more preparation and training time....but that is really just a wasted wish as the date is set and we have just got to deal with it the best way we can..
Lets face it...there are cyclists all over the UK who have planned or entered various events and are probably feeling just the same as I do right now.....
I hope that because the weather is late in turning to spring this year that when spring finally arrives it decides to stay with us rather than disappear again  as it did last year.... 

As with all charity fundraiser/challenge rides there is far more involved in the event than the ride itself.....our Ten Countries in Ten Days ride is far more than the 10 days of the ride...
There are all the days of training (that we hoped to be doing right now) and the planning involved in setting the whole thing up, plus the route planning etc.

There is a lot involved in a ride like this and the reason for it all..? 
Well in our case it is to draw attention to the good work done by Cyclists Fighting  Cancer and help them raise money in order to continue that good work.....
With that in mind I know that the desperation that I am feeling right now for the reasons mentioned above is an uncomfortable emotion worth putting up with......... 

14 comments:

anniebikes said...

I hope you get better soon! Thinking of you. Try not to fret.

limom said...

You need more training like I need another camera.

50KM said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZUE4_PtOk0
Buena suerte amigo, todo pasa.

Colleen Welch said...

We are having the same sort of weather here in Washington State.

MrDaveyGie said...

Better bik'n times are right around the corner...

Marsha said...

Don't give up hope. The good weather will be here soon. Good luck.

rlove2bike said...

I know the feeling of a long winter. We still have a lot of snow on the ground here with some areas still having more than 20" on the ground.

I hope you get feeling better soon.

RL

jeff said...

I think their are legions of us hoping real spring will be here soon.

TrevorW�� said...

-anniebikes- -limom- -alex- -Colleen-
-MrDaveyGie- -Marsha- -rlove2bike-
-jeff-

Seems like we are all suffering the same sort of situation Guy's... I trust that it all turns in our favour soon...
as DaveyGie said, "Better bike'n
times are right around the corner".

TrevorW�� said...

As an addition to my last comment that excludes limom of course, as he lives on an island of constant good weather..lol

GreenComotion said...

Trevor:
FWIW - I hope your weather gets better so you can ride all you want.

Paz :)

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

It's really rotten for you not being able to train. My husband is in a similar boat, unable to run and having to defer his place in the London marathon. Fortunately for him he is able to cycle instead. Hope you get better soon!

Unknown said...

Feel your pain - we still have 16 inches of snow on the ground...

TrevorW�� said...

-Chandra-
Thanks Chandra...

-Gail-
Thanks for the comment Gail..Pity about your husband having to let his London Marathon place go due to not being to get out and run..Hope he's enjoying the bike rides instead...

-Merry *Death on a Bike-
I hope that your snow soon clears...I think we are all pretty fed up with this winter weather dragging on....

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...