About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Sunday 27 January 2013

Luckier than most...

A CASUAL RIDE ALONG THE PROMENADE 
I think that we were luckier than most over recent days as far as the weather is concerned.... 
Our location here at Bournemouth on the South Coast of England is such that for the most part the worst of the winter weather tends to pass us by. 
Yes we have had some snow and ice but not it seems as badly as some other parts of the UK... 

Although I am only doing about half the cycling distance that I was covering last year, my training for the 'Mission IsPossible 10in10' ride planned for June is well on target....
Take this past week..I managed to complete the equivalent of 120 miles on the static indoor training bike and a further 104 miles outdoors on some real roads. 
The indoor bike is a vital part of my winter training plans and without it this past week would have been nowhere as productive as it proved to be.... 

To be absolutely honest I think that I preferred my indoor miles compared to my actual road miles last week... 
The road miles were dirty and cold and then after getting back home after the rides, more time had to be spent on cleaning up the bike...My kit was pretty filthy too. 

The bad weather seems to have taken it's toll on the roads as well....
Potholes seem to almost appear overnight and with the amount of muck and detritus on the roads it was a miracle that I didn't end up forty miles from home with a puncture and lets face it if you are going to get a blowout, it is more likely to happen when you are cold and wet with a good few miles left to ride.... 

On top of my training miles there was still some time for a casual ride along the promenade for a few miles and on my return along the seafront it appeared that a lot of other cyclists had the same thought judging by the number of bikes I saw..... 

The latest news regarding our Ten Countries ride is that we have another member on the team....
Not satisfied with a team comprising of  three 'old men' and a 'boy' of forty two to tackle the ride, we have another Cyclist member who has joined us...Lorenzo is Italian and is the same age as me at sixty five.... a great bonus of him joining the team is that when we arrive in Italy, any language difficulties that we might have had have now been solved......all the better when we order our pasta..!!

It is hoped that we will be starting our group rides together in March..hopefully by then the worst of the weather will have finished and we can look forward to some good weather...good company...and some good rides...

11 comments:

rlove2bike said...

I am just a sissy when it comes to the indoor riding. Maybe today I will get on it...or maybe not. hehehe

I'm glad to hear the Ten Countries ride is taking shape for you.

Thanks for posting,
RL

Big Oak said...

Sounds like you'll be ready for your big ride. Getting out when the weather isn't so great makes us appreciate the good weather even more.

Steve A said...

I do hope y'all get a break in the weather.

coastkid said...

You also have some lovely clean beaches down there for winter cycling with the right bike -:)

TrevorW�� said...

*rlove2bike*
I am actually developing a it of an affection for my static training bike..Ha Ha !

*Big Oak*
You are right of course..I won't moan ever again if the weather is too hot on a ride....I can't wait for some sunny spring rides..

*Steve A*
Thanks Steve..Actually this week it has not been too bad...Still waiting for the spring though..

*coastkid*
We do indeed..! I have often thought about a 'fat tyred bike' but there are too many other bikes that I would like first...Also the number of times that I would use it really wouldn't warrant the outlay...Now 20 years ago..!! Who knows!!

Unknown said...

Great post, brought back some lovely memories of family holidays to Sandbanks, where I'd drag my wife and daughter out for a morning bike ride along the front, before the promenade closed to cyclist at 10 o'clock.

Good luck with the 10in10. I'm doing London to Brussels same sort of time, bit scared of the distances, any tips?

You can follow my progress at http://cyclingfromfattofit.blogspot.co.uk

Dave

J_on_tour said...

Top idea to get an Italian on board. Locals can always find the best places in a superb country of good food. We had snow here again last night, I had to go out on foot in the morning.

TrevorW�� said...

*J_on_tour*
A good plan Eh! As we have five days R&R at the end of the ride he will be our tourist guide :-) He happens to be a Chef as well..!!

Unknown said...

lorenzo[RENZO]said dear trevor, and friends,the 10x10 is not only a fund raising for the cancer charity, but a small side line business under the name of ;meals on weels; lorenzo[the chef]

Unknown said...

LORENZO SAID ;meals on weels are us;

TrevorW�� said...

*renzo maraspin*
Perhaps we should rename the Team...'Team Meals on Wheels' :0)

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...