About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Friday 12 October 2012

There is not much more to say..



Well...there is not much more to say really...It's all been said!! 
This week twitter has been full of  the Lance Armstrong doping story...and the papers have been full of it too... We always knew that doping had cast a cloud over our sport but this week that cloud turned black....When you read the evidence that USADA has published the full extent of the cheating is quite astonishing.

How do I feel..?
As a cyclist....
I suppose I am not really surprised...this has been building up for some time, but I am staggered at LA's arrogance....I am staggered at the amount of money that he (and of course others) have made from cheating the sport,.the fans and the clean riders.....I am saddened by the whole affair..

As a cancer survivor....
I feel very badly let down...I believed in the LA myth...When I was fighting my own cancer the LA story gave me hope...it helped give me the strength to carry on with my own personal battle, after all if Lance could do it why not me. I am grateful for that, but still feel let down by the man.... 
I am also grateful for the LIVESTRONG Foundation and the good work it has done for cancer sufferers but I am concerned over the damage this black cloud will now do to that organization..

There was a time when I was proud to wear the Livestrong wrist band..I was glad of the association with LA.... 
Sadly that is no longer the case...... 

13 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

The graphics in the news showing how many TDF winners are believed to have been involved in doping are shocking. The pressure to stay competitive when all that was going on around them must have been enormous.

Steve A said...

I'm not ashamed to wear a Livestrong wristband even now.

Marsha said...

You said it well: a LOT of people have been let down by this senseless cheating. The only good thing is that the sport as a whole has turned the corner. (Thank you Wiggins and Team Sky who did it the right way.)

TrevorW�� said...

*JRA*
That is so true and one could even argue that with so many riders doping that created a level playing field...
Hopefully we have now moved on from that era in the sport...I certainly hope so.

*Steve A*
Like so many things Steve, it has to be a personal choice... I am in fact still wearing mine, it's just that I don't feel the same level of pride regarding it's association with LA as I once did...

*Marsha*
Your right Marsha a lot of people have been let down by the doping... the cheating...the lies...and the intimidation which apparently went on.
Hopefully the sport has turned a corner - but then we all felt that after the Festina affair.

Howard said...

I have cycled and walked with a few dopes over the years. Now what was his/their names!! C U next month.
H

Jez Andrews said...

Well you can't say I didn't say what he was like. My blog isn't exactly pro lance. Big point about the charity things Trevor, is that that there are still many deserving cancer charities that also need our money let's not forget them.

TrevorW�� said...

*Howard*
Hi Howard..Yes I suppose we can all say that we have walked/cycled with a few dopes over the years.Lol
Looking forward to next months meet..See you there.

*Jez Andrews*
I too have expressed my doubts about LA before on this blog. But I suppose because of my own medical history I wanted to cling to the myth of 'man gets cancer- man beats cancer- man wins TDF'.
Still at least all MY miles since cancer have been ridden drug free..LOL

My past two long distance rides have been done in aid of the charity 'Cyclist's Fighting Cancer'and they will continue to have my support.
As you say there are a lot of deserving cancer charities out there.

BicycleFriends said...

I am not sure how I feel about all this but, one thing for sure is I still love riding my bike.

TrevorW�� said...

*Jason Castillo*
Me too Jason.....

limom said...

In the case of LA, image is everything.

Paul said...

Sigh,:(

TrevorW�� said...

*limom*
Seems that way doesn't it..

*Paul*
That sigh is the way most people feel Paul.

Mark Shaw said...

Trevor I can only agree with what you write, I whilst I love cycling and watching the TDF I acknowledge I am no expert in these matters, but it seems to me that Lance Armstrong stood for all that was good and now the evidence is overwhelming that he was a liar and a cheat.
I no longer wear my Livestrong band , however good news my friend Claire who I blogged about a few months ago this week got the all clear after her ceomotherapy...every cloud

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...