About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Sunday 20 May 2012

EXPLORE THE DORSET COAST...

EXPLORE THE DORSET COAST
As I don't plan on getting back from my 'Dartmoor Perambulation' until much later today this is another pre-scheduled post. 


The above picture was taken on one of my many rides along the Dorset coast. 
The title on the visitor information board above suggests  'Explore the Dorset Coast' and I can certainly recommend it. 


Dorset has often been described as amongst the most 'English' of England's Counties. It was a part of the Kingdom of Wessex before the emergence of the English state in the ninth century. 
The County town of Dorset is Dorchester which was founded by the Romans about AD70 and the town still retains some elements of it's Roman past.
Although about three quarters of Dorset remains in agricultural use, farming is no longer the single greatest employer in the county owing to the advance of modern technology.


A survey taken in 2006 counted about 710,000 inhabitants. About a third of these resided in the major towns of Bournemouth and Poole.
Dorset is bordered by Devon to the west...Somerset to the north west....Wiltshire to the north east and Hampshire to the east. Along the southern edge of the county runs the wonderful Jurassic Coast....a World Heritage site.


If you ever decide that you would like to take the information board's advice and explore the Dorset  coast, then I would suggest that exploring the county by bike is the very best way. 
Dorset is one of the few select counties that does not have any motorway running through it and as such is perfectly suited to a touring holiday by bike. 


Just be prepared for a hilly ride..!!



5 comments:

rlove2bike said...

A county with no motorway...way cooool!! Yeah, your photo show it hilly also. Looks to be a fun place.

Sandy said...

Oh how nice to read of someone praising Dorset. I live to the East of Christchurch almost on the border of Hampshire, and this area is terrific for cycling. Plus of course it's just a short ferry ride away from the Isle of Wight which is also great for cycling.

TrevorW�� said...

*rlove2bike*
Yes...Dorset is a great county to live in and I have always loved the entire south west corner of the UK anyway..

*Zandranna*
Thanks for your comment....Dorset is a wonderful county....

You mention the Isle of Wight-
I was actually born there and spent my early childhood there. I always try and get over for a short cycle touring or walking trip each year.

GreenComotion said...

Hi Trevor,
I don't mind co-existing with motors, but sometimes the lack of them can be refreshing. Perhaps, I should consider Dorset as a possible vacation destination!

Paz :)

TrevorW�� said...

*Chandra*
We might not have any motorways but we still have motors unfortunately...

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...