About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Wednesday 29 February 2012

AN ALTERNATIVE RIDE.......


DOWN THE HILL
Today was the last day of February and was going to be the first ride in 2012 with JD. 
The arrangements had been made and we were going to meet at the ferry for a decent ride together over the Purbeck Hills...that was the plan anyway. 
Unfortunately JD had to pull out due to a last minute appointment that he couldn't alter. 


Now I could have just carried on with the planned ride solo, but I decided to do an alternative ride and spend a little bit of time working on my hill climbing. 
Within half a minute bike ride from my home there is a hill that runs down to almost sea level. 
The local bus finishes it's route at the bottom of the hill where there is a circular turn round area for the bus. 
In the summer months the bus drops off lots of holidaymakers here for a day at the beach but at this time of year the area is more or less empty and makes a good place to work on my strength and hill technique.
It is not a huge hill only rising to 200ft  but it does present a good workout. 


I rode over to the top of the hill ....and set off on the short descent....down the hill.....
BEND AT THE BOTTOM
 around the bend as I approached the bottom of the hill where the bus turns around.........

AROUND THE TURN AROUND
AND BACK UP THE HILL
 and then I just set off back up the hill.... 
Obviously once was not enough so I completed this descent and ascent 25 times. 


The first few times I managed it without any problems, but by the time I got to number 20 things were becoming pretty tough and by the time I reached my goal for the day I have to admit I was glad to stop. 


A lot of people tell me that they are no good on hills and actively avoid them. I believe that if you hardly ever ride up hills you will never improve your hill climbing ability. 
As with all things you need to practice in order to get better at it. 
Over the years I have learned to love hills and it's practice on hills that has helped me arrive at that attitude towards them.........



10 comments:

jeff said...

Good for you! I've had my eye on a hill located a half mile off of a loop I like to ride that lasts about a half mile, and has a bike path on the side to boot. I'm hoping to get some training in there soon.

Marsha said...

Practice like that really does help, doesn't it?

Big Oak said...

25 times?!? Holy cow, that's a heck of a workout! Great job!

Steve A said...

Did you lot realize you all seem to ride on the wrong side of the road? As opposed to the RIGHT side?

limom said...

2000ft 25xs!
My legs would have been worn down to little bitty nubs.

TrevorW�� said...

*jeff*
Go for it Jeff....

*Marsha*
Seem to work well for me.

*Big Oak*
Thanks...I found it really tough towards the end though.

*Steve A*
That is why I have a couple of trips to mainland Europe each year, just to remind me that we do it all wrong over here...!

*limom*
200x25 = 5,000ft about the same as I would do on one of the smaller sportives.
For all you know my legs might well have worn down to little bitty nubs....

Jez Andrews said...

I love climbing, and where I am there are some real corkers, Stanhope bank for one. Just learnt that my 24 hour race in April is a hilly course with 1800ft of climbing per 11mile lap. Just putting in the extra hill training into my work outs now!

Jez www.followingthechainline.blogspot.com

KatieCake said...

Wow. That is seriously impressive. Great work.

I am rubbish at hills, I still hit them too hard at the bottom, hoping that momentum will take me the rest of the way. Sadly as it doesn't, I always start to blow halfway up.

Next time I start to struggle I will ask myself "What would Trevor do?" and hopefully channeling your energy will work. ;-)

TrevorW�� said...

*Jez Andrews*
I look forward to reading how your 24hr race goes for you....

*KatieCake*
Finding that comfortable pace to take you all the way to the top is key...
I wish you well on your target for March.....

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

Wow! Take my hat off to you!

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...