About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Tuesday 26 April 2011

BROWNSEA ISLAND

BROWNSEA ISLAND FERRY- THE BOAT NOT THE BIKE...!!
 In one of my recent posts there was a photo which include the little yellow ferry boat that is the Brownsea Island Ferry. I mentioned then that I would tell you a little more about it in a later post...this is that post..!!

Brownsea Island is the largest of the islands in Poole Harbour here in the wonderful county of Dorset.There are  eight islands in total in the harbour area. The island is currently owned by the National Trust.
A lot of the island is open to the public and includes areas of woodland and heath. It has a wide variety of wildlife, together with cliff top views across the harbour and the Purbecks where so many of my regular cycling routes are situated.
The island is well known as the home of the first camp of the Boy Scout movement in 1907.
LOOKING OUT TOWARDS THE ISLAND
The first records of people living on the island occurred  in the 9th century. At this time a small chapel and hermitage were built by monks from Cerne Abbey near Dorchester.

In 1547 the island was fortified as part of a deterrent to invasion forces from Europe. The fortifications consisted of a blockhouse which later became known as Brownsea Castle.
In the photo above you can just see the 'castle' on the island in the centre top of the shot.

Over the years the island has had various owners. In 1576 Queen Elizabeth 1 gave the island as a gift to one of her court favourites (rumoured lover) Sir Christopher Hatton.
During the English Civil War the town of Poole was on the side of the Parliamentarians and they garrisoned Brownsea Island.
THE FERRY AND THE TIP OF BROWNSEA ISLAND
The island is 1.5 miles long and 0.75 mile wide and is made up of 500 acres of woodland (pine & oak) heathland and saltmarsh.
Most of the buildings are situated close to the small landing stage. The northern section of the island is a nature reserve and is managed by the Dorset Wildlife Trust and is an important habitat for birds..in this part of the island there is only limited public access.

If you are ever in my home area you must mark Brownsea Island on your list of good places to visit .
I am now off for a short visit to the county of Devon...but when I return it will be back to some serious cycling as I have the annual 'Dorset Bike Ride Event' looming on the horizon and then it will be some final preparations before our 'Tour of Brittany. As normal you will be able to read about it HERE...!!

15 comments:

Mark said...

Being in the US, it is interesting to me, to see buildings that are older than our country.

It looks like a nice place in the world. Your post makes me want to go there.

Worthing Wanderer said...

I must have a visit one day soon. Thanks for whetting my appetite! Enjoy your trip to Devon...

J_on_tour said...

Fantastic post. I haven't visited any islands in Dorset by boat but I try and do this kind of thing from coastal places I visit in more recent years. Interesting how the island has faced both ways (if you know what I mean) through the course of history. Hope your trip to Devon goes well.

Steve A said...

Does anyone live there nowadays?

TrevorW�� said...

*Steve A
A small part of the south-east section of the island along with Brownsea Castle is leased to a retail organisation for use as a private hotel for staff. There is also an outdoor centre and a trading post shop...There are no 'normal' residents unconnected with the ownership of the island.

Big Oak said...

I'll have to put that on my list. I've been thinking about trying London-Edinburgh-London in 2013, so maybe I will make it!?!

Carlos Ribeiro said...

It's a beautiful place, my friend!
Best wishes

John Romeo Alpha said...

That island looks like a good place for a day trip with hiking and exploring, and sounds just big enough that one might be able to find a quiet place for some daydreaming.

ADRIAN said...

I never realised so much went on there. thanks.

uncle gedek said...

It seems a very peaceful town..

Marco said...

Hi Trevor,beautiful island.

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

I had to smile, when I first saw your mention of Brownsea Island ferry I thought you were talking about the US! And me a native (originally) from Devon who had many a happy holiday in Poole and Bournemouth....!

BrandNewStudio said...

WonderfulWork
ThankYouForSharing

Meanqueen said...

Thanks for bringing back memories, Brownsea was part of my South Coast tour in May last year. There was a lady pilot on the yellow boat, I was most impressed. I saw red squirrels as well.

Jason said...

Nice photo of your bike with the ferry in the background. There's something so cool about including a ferry in a ride. Thanks for the great post!

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...