About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Thursday 8 July 2010

UNABLE TO ATTEND AGAIN..!!!!

I felt pretty tired at the end of the four day charity ride I completed with JD last Sunday- but not anywhere close to the fatigue I am currently experiencing.

Following the ride- Monday saw the start of the next stage in my treatment programme.
This consists of me visiting the Dorset Cancer Unit based at Poole Hospital every day Monday to Friday (I get two rest days at the weekend). At the Cancer Unit I get to stretch out on my back beneath the large rotating arm of a linear accelerator while this very clever machine does its best to kill off what could kill me.

Amongst the many and various side effects that a patient might suffer I seem to be affected by a feeling of fatigue. I have felt less tired after cycling 70+miles than I am feeling at the moment after 10 to 15mins a day of Radiotherapy.

Another spin off in having to attend the unit each day is the disruption to my plans for cycling and backpacking etc. For the past few years Howard K a fellow member of the Backpackers Club has arranged a Cyclepacking weekend at this time of year. In 2008 I was unable to attend because my Father died and then in 2009 I was unable to attend due to the cycling accident I had-broken collarbone and ribs saw to that. Now this year due to my daily treatment I am unable to attend again. My original plan had been to cycle to the start over two days and return over two days at the end of the weekend- with the daily appointments that plan is not possible. This evening Mike McEnnerney and Peter Calcutt popped over to see me and check out if there was a way of getting me and bike to the meet in the back of Mike's Land Rover but unfortunately the bike would not fit. Thanks for trying guys...! Oh well I can only hope that I will manage to attend next year. Sorry Howard.

Now what can I do over this weekend? I know- I will be forced to watch the Tour De France as the Pro Peloton reaches the mountains- not much hardship after all.

3 comments:

The bike shed said...

Radiotherapy is notoriously tiring.

So enjoy the tour -to Avoriaz today: i cycled there last year , but a lot lot slower than those guys will do it.

Anonymous said...

Mate in the 7yrs we worked together you were my patience guide. you will live life on your terms again. Sorry for not being in touch for a while, darren

TrevorW�� said...

Thanks for those kind words Darren- It's great to hear from you. Hope all is well with you.

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...